World Statistics Day
Table of Contents
The 20th of October 2010 will be the first ever World Statistics Day (WSD), a day created to recognize the achievements the global statistics systems at both national and international levels. The day, which was created by the United Nations Statistics Division, will advocate the work of many statisticians across the world who work within different settings, cultures and domains.The three key words chosen to highlight WSD are Service, Professionalism and Integrity.
United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon stated “Let us make this historic World Statistics Day a success by acknowledging and celebrating the role of statistics in the social and economic development of our societies and by dedicating further efforts and resources to strengthening national statistical capacity”
The OECD is also celebrating World Statistics Day, centering the day around “Better Data for Better Policies”. After Mr. Marcos Bonturi, Deputy Chief of Staff of the Secretary-General, opens the meeting, Statisticians from throughout the OECD will showcase how they use statistics in innovative ways in their day to day work. After the presentations, interactive displays will show some of the innovative methods for using and disseminating statistics.
Wikigender and World Statistics Day
Discover some of the gender statistics-related articles available on Wikigender, edit them or add your own!
- Gender statistics
- Gender Statistics: 1975 and Beyond
- Use of Gender Statistics
- United NationsECE Gender Statistics Database
- United NationsECE/WBI Statistics Training
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization Institute for Statistics
- Composite indicator
- Gender, Institutions and Development Data Base
- 2009 Social Institutions and Gender Index
- Gender Statistics of Chinese Taipei
- Global Rape Statistics
Wikiprogress and World Statistics Day
Wikiprogress is also planning on celebrating World Statistics Day. This page will be updated throughout the day with interesting data and comments. If you would like to support Wikiprogress and celebrate with the wikis, please feel free to use the flyer below.
See also, in Wikiprogress
- List of national statistics office websites by country
- Progress eXplorer
- New ProgBlog post
- 11-13 October 2010: 3rd Global Forum on Gender Statistics
- World Statistics Day Official site
- OECD World Statistics Day site
- UNStat Calender of Events for WSD
- National Statistics Day