The State of Food and Agriculture 2014
The Sate of Food and Agriculture 2014 (SOAF) analyses the situation of family farms across the globe and the role they play in global food security, poverty reduction and environmental sustainability. Over 500 million family farms exist contributing to the production of the majority of the world’s food. The SOFA 2014 presents data on the size and distribution of family farms and the share of the world’s farms by region, income group and size. It also anaylyzing the role that family farms play in poverty reduction. Finally the SOFA 2014 looks at innovations in the are of family farms across the globe to see how they are promoting sustainable productivity.
From the SOFA 2014 Executive Summary
- Family farms are part of the solution for achieving food security and sustainable rural development; the world’s food security and environmental sustainability depend on the more than 500 million family farms that form the backbone of agriculture in most countries.
- Family farms are an extremely diverse group, and innovation systems must take this diversity into account.
- The challenges facing agriculture and the institutional environment for agricultural innovation are far more complex than ever before; the world must create an innovation system that embraces this complexity.
- Public investment in agricultural R&D and extension and advisory services should be increased and refocused to emphasize sustainable intensification and closing yield and labour productivity gaps.
- All family farmers need an enabling environment for innovation, including good governance, stable macroeconomic conditions, transparent legal and regulatory regimes, secure property rights, risk management tools and market infrastructure.
- Capacity to innovate in family farming must be promoted at multiple levels. Individual innovation capacity must be developed through investment in education and training.
- Effective and inclusive producers’ organizations can support innovation by their members.
- Training for Rural Development: Agriculture and Enterprise Skills for Women
- Men and women in agriculture: closing the gap
The State of Food and Agriculture 2014, Food and Agriculture Administration of the United Nations.