Plan directly supports more than 1,500,000 children and their families, and indirectly supports an estimated further 9,000,000 people who live in communities that are working with Plan. Plan is independent, with no religious, political or governmental affiliations.
Table of Contents
Vision and Mission
Plan’s vision is of a world in which all children realise their full potential in societies that respect people’s rights and dignity. Plan aims to achieve lasting improvements in the quality of life of deprived children in developing countries, through a process that unites people across cultures and adds meaning and value to their lives, by:
- enabling deprived children, their families and their communities to meet their basic needs and to increase their ability to participate in and benefit from their societies
- building relationships to increase understanding and unity among peoples of different cultures and countries
- promoting the rights and interests of the world’s children.
Work with Girls
Plan funds projects that support the education and welfare of girls. These include building girl-friendly schools, latrines for girls in schools, sharing information on reproduction, HIV/AIDS with girls and women, and international advocacy. Their reports, ‘Because I’m a Girl’, provides up-to-state statistics on the many inequalities faced by girls in developing countries.
More on the campaign: Because I am a Girl
Because I am a Girl: publications
- 2011: Because I am a Girl: So, what about boys?
- 2010: Digital and Urban Frontiers
- 2009: Girls in the global economy
- 2008: Because I am a Girl: In the shadow of war 2008
- 2007: The state of the world’s girls