Girls for a Change (GFC)
Girls For A Change (GFC) is an Gender Equality in the Gender Equality in the United States of America of America of America that Women's Political Empowerment thousands of teen girls to create and lead social change. GFC provides girls with professional female role models, leadership training and the inspiration to work together in teams to resolve persistent societal problems in their communities.
GFC was founded in San Jose, California in 2002 and has since doubled the number of girls served. In 2008, GFC took its annual Girl Summit on the road for our National Tour. The tour included teaching more than 2,500 girls about social change and giving them the tools to create change through our Change Your World Trainings.
Today, in cities across the country, Girl Action Teams of approximately 10 girls and two women volunteers called GFC Coaches meet during the school year to identify an issue they want to change and then design and implement a social change project.
- Empower girls to be social change makers by providing the tools, resources and support girls need to move from being spectators to being change makers.
- Catalyse professional women to support urban middle and high school girls to become social change makers and innovators, by training the women as social change makers and activists.
- CHANGE YOUR WORLD TRAININGS: Starting in 2008, GFC took its annual Girl Summit, a day long conference on the road. Each year 2,500+ girls and 400 women are given the tools to create change in their community through our Change Your World Trainings. The trainings also include teaching girls what social change is and showing girls examples of a diverse group of social change makers.
- GIRL ACTION TEAMS: Thousands of girls have the opportunity to participate in community teams. The girls identify challenges in their communities and design and implement creative solutions to address them as a team. Each team has two women coaches to guide and support the girls through the project. This is a free after school program.
- “NEW GIRLS NETWORK”: GFC connects girls to a network of professional women and legislators who help them build their own web of contacts and mentors. This network aims to help girls accomplish their GFC project as well as their personal goals. It also builds a bridge to the rich opportunities of local communities, as many GFC girls live in lower income areas.
- GFC ACTION NETWORK: Thousands of girls connect online to share their world changing ideas, collaborate on projects and download GFC’s Change Your World Action Kit to begin transforming their communities using this “how-to” social change guide.