Cyber-Crime in Thai women
Table of Contents
Poverty in Thailand is particularly high in rural areas. People in rural areas lack educational opportunities and therefore remain in low payed, low skilled jobs. The majority of jobs are in the services industry and the salary is insufficient for them to support their families. In this context, poor parents cannot provide adequate educational opportunities for their children.
Data and Statistics
In response to the pressures of living in poverty, some families chose to marry their daughters to wealthy foreigners. According to the National Statistical Office, 15,000 women marry foreign husbands especially men from Europe and the United States per year. The most interesting figure shows that the remittances of these women to Thailand was at least 122 million Baht (3.71 million dollar) per month or 1,464 million Baht (44.57 million dollar) per year. The research also indicated that women in the northeast prefer to marry someone from a developed country. Concerning education, 68% if girls finished primary school, 27% finished secondary school and 7% earned a bachelors degree. More than 80% of these were married and had children with her former husband before.
The influence of online social networking sites
Online social networks increase the possibility and accessibility of connections between women in Thailand and prospective husbands. It has become the channel to seek for a foreign partner. There are sites dedicated to the search of foreigner husbands but women also use Facebook. This is extremely dangerous for Thai women because they cannot know who they are communicating with and what is true or not. Many Thai women lose moeny through schemes that seek out poor women looking to marry wealthier husbands. However, as long as women are still marginalised and stuck in the cycle of poverty they will look for ways out of their situation and social media and networking sites are one possibility.
- Onknow Club [Internet].Bangkok: Thai’s women in northeast boring Thai’s husband; c2000-01 [updated 2009 March 10]- [cited 2014 September 15]. Available from: http://onknow.blogspot.com/2009/03/blog-post_2127.html.
- Alex Hillsberg/Most Popular Social Media Sites Review: Why Women Are The Real Power Behind The Huge Success Of Pinterest and Tumblr [Internet]. [cited2014 September 15]. Available from:http://reviews.financesonline.com/most-popular-social-media-sites-review/.
- Saigon Charlie/Foreign husbands lift economy- BURI RAM WOMEN [Internet]. Bangkok: [update 2008 October 2]-[ cited 2014 September 15]. Available from: http://thailandtonight.blogspot.com/2008/10/foreign-husbands-lift-economy-buri-ram.html.
- Ms. Waristha Atikmanon 54148010128
- Ms. Pimjai Wannapong 54148010194
- Ms. Cherrelak Karnjanarak 54148010352
- Ms. Thikhamporn Benyaapikul 54148010353
- Ms. Nutchanok Yeevo 54148010354