He also worked on the masculine domination in the society, its causes and consequences.
Table of Contents
Pierre Bourdieu was born in Denguin, in southern France on 1 August 1930.
Bourdieu wrote a book named La Domination masculine in 1988. In this book, Bourdieu makes a sociological analysis of the relations between men and women, in which he tries to explain the causes of the masculine domination.
Masculine domination is an habitus giving to men and women a specific role in society.
Statistics show that society – especially family – imposes a different culture on men and women, so that women tend to head toward certain education and jobs. For instance, girls are less encouraged to chose a scientific education than boys. Hence an assymetry between arts studies, where the population is highly feminine, and technical and scientific studies, where the population is highly masculine.
Moreover, traditionnaly female activities such as cooking obtain a noble status when lead by men – who are called “Chef” -, as if by magic.
Masculine domination tends to perpetuate through dehistorization: the historial causes of masculine domination would actually be natural causes. Women would just naturally prefer certain activities (clothing, cooking, cleaning, child care…). The idea of dehistorization is to justify masculine domination by giving an appearance of objectivity.
For Boudieu, one of the solutions to cancel masculine domination is love.
- Algeria 1960: The Disenchantment of the World: The Sense of Honour: The Kabyle House or the World Reversed: Essays, Cambridge Univ Press 1979.
- The Inheritors: French Students and Their Relations to Culture, University of Chicago Press 1979.
- Outline of a Theory of Practice, Cambridge University Press 1977.
- Homo Academicus, Polity, 1990.
- Reproduction in Education, Society and Culture (Theory, Culture and Society Series), Sage, 1990, with Jean-Claude Passeron
- with Luc Boltanski e P. Maldidier, La défense du corps, in Social Science Information, Vol. 10, n° 4, pp. 45–86, 1971.
- with Luc Boltanski, Le titre et le poste : rapports entre système de production et système de reproduction, in Actes de la recherche en sciences sociales, Vol. 1, n° 2, pp. 95 – 107, 1975
- with Luc Boltanski, Le fétichisme de la langue, in Actes de la recherche en sciences sociales, Vol. 1, n° 4, pp. 2– 32, 1975.
- with Luc Boltanski, La production de l’idéologie dominante, in Actes de la recherche en sciences sociales, Vol. 2, n° 2-3, 1976, pp. 4–73, 1976-06.
- Distinction: a Social Critique of the Judgment of Taste, trans. Richard Nice, 1984. Harvard University Press.
- In Other Words: Essays toward a Reflective Sociology, Stanford, 1990.
- ” The Corporatism of the Universal: The Role of Intellectuals in the Modern World “. TELOS 81 (Fall 1989). New York: Telos Press
- Language and Symbolic Power, Harvard University Press 1991.
- The Political Ontology of Martin Heidegger, Polity, 1991.
- The Love of Art: European Art Museums and Their Public, Stanford University Press, 1991.
- Language & Symbolic Power, Harvard University Press, 1991; paperback edition, Polity, 1992.
- An Invitation to Reflexive Sociology with Loïc Wacquant, University of Chicago Press and Polity, 1992.
- with Hans Haacke, Free Exchange, Stanford University Press, 1995.
- with Luc Boltanski and Robert Castel, Photography: A Middle-Brow Art, Stanford University Press, 1996.
- Rules of Art: Genesis and Structure of the Literary Field, Stanford University Press, 1996.
- with Monique De Saint Martin, Jean-Claude Passeron, Academic Discourse: Linguistic Misunderstanding and Professorial Power, Polity 1996.
- Practical Reason: On the Theory of Action, Stanford University Press, 1998.
- State nobility: Elite Schools in the Field of Power, Polity, 1998.
- Weight of the World: Social Suffering in Contemporary Society, Polity, 1999.
- On Television, New Press, 1999.
- Acts of Resistance: Against the Tyranny of the Market, New Press, 1999.
- Pascalian Meditations, Polity, 2000.
- Masculine Domination, Polity, 2001.
- Interventions politiques (1960–2000). Textes & contextes d’un mode d’intervention politique spécifique, 2002.
- Counterfire: Against the Tyranny of the Market, Verso Books 2003.
- Science of Science and Reflexivity, Polity 2004.
- The Social Structures of the Economy, Polity 2005.
- Bourdieu, Pierre, La Domination masculine, 1998, éditions du Seuil, collection Liber
- Monnet, Corinne, La répartition des tâches entre les femmes et les hommes dans le travail de la conversation, 1998
- Non Fides, L’Ancrage du sexisme, 2008