|Location||Centro Feminista de Estudos e Assessoria, Brasília-DF, Brazil|
|Area served||Namely Brazil|
|Focus||Women’s rights and gender equality|
|Method||Education, advocacy, lobbying, monitoring|
The Centro Feminista de Estudos e Assessoria (Portuguese) (CFEMEA), or the Feminist Center for Studies and Advisory Services, is an autonomous, women’s rights non-governmental organization (NGO) founded in 1989 and situated in Brasilia, Brazil . The objective of the organisation is to defend and promote women’s rights and democracy, particularly by monitoring and critically assessing Brazilian legislation and public policies. Besides actively participating in gender-related activities on a national level, CFEMEA collaborates with international feminist networks, especially in Latin America, and participates in a number of initiatives to combat racism.CFEMEA. “Quem somos”. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
The activities of CFEMEA comprise:
- the monitoring of government expenditure, so as to ensure transparency as well as the adequate distribution of public funds towards the promotion of women’s rights and gender equality;
- the promotion of women’s political participation as well as the participation of women’s movements and platforms in areas of decision and power, both within civil society and within public administration;
- addressing the issue of violence against women , with a focus on monitoring public policy, and the decisions taken with regards thereto by parliament, the executive and the courts;
- the promotion of reproductive and sexual rights, in particular through (i) the defense, within parliament, of the reproductive self-determination of women, sexual freedom and the right to safe and legal abortion, and through (ii) social mobilisation against religious fundamentalism and in favour of the legalization of abortion; and
- the promotion of women’s empowerment and economic autonomy, with emphasis on ensuring equal rights for workers and on recognising the value of domestic work.
CFEMEA – Official website