Economist internship opportunity in gender and development at the OECD Development Centre
The OECD Development Centre is an independent platform for knowledge sharing and policy dialogue between OECD member countries and developing economies, allowing these countries to interact on an equal footing. The Centre draws attention to emerging systemic issues likely to have an impact on global development and more specific development challenges faced by today’s developing and emerging economies. It uses evidence-based analysis and strategic partnerships to help countries formulate innovative policy solutions to the global challenges of development.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and motivated trainee to join the Centre’s gender team, based in Paris. The trainee will assist the team on the Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) and the SIGI country study in Burkina Faso. Please note that an internship in the Organisation shall be open only to a person who is currently enrolled as a student in an educational or research institution recognised as such by the Organisation.
The trainee will be expected to:
- Produce literature reviews and provide other quantitative research, such as data collection and analysis. Provide support to the revision of the SIGI methodological and conceptual frameworks.
- Contribute to the research and analysis of the SIGI Burkina Faso country study.
- Assist in the preparation of public presentations.
- Contribute to the team’s other tasks, including drafting reports, and assisting in the co-ordination of events.
- Support activities, when appropriate, of the Wikigender platform.
Education and experience
- Be a registered student in an academic institution that has signed or is willing to sign an OECD Memorandum of Agreement relating to traineeships.
- Currently be undertaking post-graduate studies in economics and/or statistics.
- Having a good understanding of development issues and current debates on gender and development is desirable.
- Strong quantitative skills and a proven ability to carry out quantitative analysis.
- Strong interest in gender and/or development issues, demonstrated through previous experience in the field (courses, thesis, internships, etc.).
- Proficiency in the use of statistical software applications (Stata and Excel) and standard software applications (MS Office).
- Fluency in English with a commitment to reaching a good working level. Knowledge of French and Spanish would be an asset.
The traineeship is for six months full time. The Organisation provides a contribution to living expenses of EUR 608.40 per month (rate applicable at the time of this publication). The trainee will need to make independent arrangements for travel and accommodation, and must provide their own health and social insurance.
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to Gaëlle Ferrant, Gender Project Economist, at Gaelle.Ferrant@oecd.org by Monday 23 January 2017, 18:00 (Paris time).