Gender difference and shopping 'must-haves'
Their research focused on what was 'untouchable' and what was 'expendable'. Over 1000 people of both genders and from different age groups took part in the research (in the United States).
Common priorities between men and women
An overwhelming majority believe that internet (80.9%) and cell/mobile phone service (64.1%) are simply off limits. Shoppers also said that cable television (60.5%), discount shopping for apparel (43.0%), hair cuts and colors (40.0%), eating at fast-food restaurants (36.6%) and a new pair of shoes (24.0%) were on their list of untouchables. In short, products linked with communications were top of the list of items considered 'expendable'.
Attitudes towards female expenses
- 92.2% believe luxury handbags are expendable,
- 90.7% believe specialty shopping for apparel are expendable
- 90% believe high-end cosmetics are expendable
- 90% believe maid service are expendable
- 89.8% believe facials are expendable
Differences between men and women
- More women (70.0%) find mobile/cell phone service untouchable than men (57.8%),
- More men find fine dining untouchable than women (12.3% vs. 9.1%).
- More men (21.5%) seem to appreciate a new pair of jeans than women (18.9%